Building Inspection

Building Inspection Services

The Building Inspection Department is responsible for administering the residential zoning ordinances and enforcing the city’s construction standards, code for new buildings, and remodeling of existing buildings. The department issues all building permits for residential, commercial, and industrial buildings. All plumbing, electrical, heating, air conditioning, and ventilating permits must be obtained from this department. A General Building Permit Application can be used for all projects with the exception of 1-family and 2-family home construction.  If you're constructing a brand new home in Monona, please see the New Home Packet & Application.

Code Enforcement

The City of Monona code governing property maintenance, noxious weeds, sign compliance, and commercial zoning maintenance is enforced by the Code Enforcement Officer.  See the Property Maintenance Code Enforcement page for more information. 

Curb Stops and Work in a Right-of-Way

The curb stop/box is the property of the water utility and may only be turned on/off by an authorized employee of the water utility. Plumbers may turn the water on to test their work but must leave the water turned off upon completion of the work. Please call 222-2525 to request that a curb stop/box be turned on/off. A construction meter is required for all water use. A 48-hour notice is required to schedule an appointment to have a curb stop/box turned on/off.
Performing work in a City of Monona Right-of-Way requires a permit which is issued through the Department of Public Works. This includes curb and gutter, driveway aprons, sidewalks, and streets.  Click for more information on right-of-way permits.

Building a Deck? Read more here...

Image of a cross section of deck construction