Frequently Asked Questions

What are the addresses of shelters available for rent?

  • Ahuska Park Shelter – 400 East Broadway
  • Fireman’s Park Shelter – 4800 Winnequah Road (corner of Winnequah Rd. & Progressive Ave.)
  • Oneida Park Shelter – 1305 Neponset Trail (corner of Neponset Tr. & Tecumseh Ave.)
  • Schaefer Shelter – 1011 Nichols Road (north of the Monona Community Center)
  • Winnequah Dream Park Shelter – 5301 Healy Lane
  • Winnequah Park Gazebo – 1012 Nichols Road (across from the swimming pool)
  • Schluter Park Gazebo - 4511 Winnequah Road (across from Monona Bait & Ice Cream)

These shelters can be reserved for events and gatherings. When not previously reserved, the shelters are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

What are the park hours?

All Monona City parks are open from sunrise to 10:00pm

What is the earliest date I can reserve a shelter?

Monona Parks and Recreation begins accepting shelter reservations on the first working day of January for Monona residents, and the first working day of February for non-residents.

What dates are the shelters available to rent?

Shelters can be reserved for events from May 1st –  first week of October

Is there a way to find out if an event is already scheduled at a park I’m interested in?

Yes! This can be done a few ways:

  • Call (222-4167) or come in person to the Monona Community Center during business hours (M-F 8:30am-4:30pm)
  • Contact us by email:
  • View availability online HERE

Online it says there is a reservation for 10am-2pm at the park I am interested in. Can I reserve the shelter before or after?

No. Unfortunately due to staffing constraints we can only clean a shelter once a day. Because of this we limit shelters to one reservation per day.

Can I put a temporary hold on a shelter without payment?

No, all shelter reservations must be paid in full at the time of reservation.

How do I make a shelter Reservation?

Reservations for a shelter may be made 3 ways:

  1. By calling the Monona Parks & Recreation Department at 222-4167
  2. In person at the Monona Community Center, 1011 Nichols Road
  3. Online by clicking HERE

Who should we call if there are problems?

If there are issues on the day of your rental, please call Monona Police at 222-0463. Please bring your copy of the Permit with you to the park to verify your reservation.

Do I need a key?

Our parks are public parks so no keys are needed to open doors into the shelters or for the restrooms. Keys may be checked out for the kitchens at the Ahuska Park Shelter and Fireman’s Park Shelter. Renters are responsible for picking up the keys, when needed, at the Parks & Recreation Office before your event (Monday-Friday between 8:30am-4:30pm) and must be returned promptly afterwards.

Can we use the entire park?

Your shelter reservation gives you exclusive use of the shelter building ONLY. You and your guests are welcome to use the area around the facility, but there may be other park users on site as well. Exclusive use of the ball diamonds, tennis courts, and playground equipment is NOT included with a shelter reservation.

What about the picnic tables?

Please refrain from moving the tables under the shelters any more than necessary. If you do move them, please replace them when your event is finished. If you need more tables than the number normally at the shelter, you can rent additional tables by calling the Parks & Rec office at least one week prior to your event.

Can we serve alcohol to our guests?

Alcohol consumption is allowed in the parks, but please note the following:

  • Glass containers should not be taken into the parks.
  • The shelter renter is responsible for all alcohol-related issues that arise from the event.
  • Minors MAY NOT be served at any time.
  • No money can change hands in exchange for alcoholic beverages. If alcohol is sold in city parks, an alcoholic beverage license is required.

Can we have a charcoal grill/campfire?

You are allowed to bring portable grills into the parks, however you must make certain that they and their contents are completely removed at the conclusion of your event. Please do not dump charcoal on the ground! Campfires are not allowed in the park.

 What about Amplified Sound in the parks?

The use of amplified sound devices is only allowed between the hours of 10:00am to 8:00pm when an Amplified Sound Permit has been obtained. This permit needs to be approved two weeks prior to the event. Contact the Parks & Recreation Dept. to obtain this $50 permit.

What about a Temporary Structure?

Any structure such as tents, trailers, dunk tanks, inflatable play equipment, personal & promotional equipment, and other structures must have a Temporary Structure Permit. This permit needs to be approved two weeks prior to the event. Contact the Parks & Recreation Dept. to obtain this $75 permit.

What do I do with my garbage?

Please gather all of the trash and recyclables from your event and dispose them in the trash containers provided at each location. There are extra garbage bags in the bottom of the trash/recycling bins if you need them during your event.

Where should we park?

Please park only in the designated parking lot and on streets surrounding the parks. Do not park on the grassy areas. No vehicles are allowed on park property at any time. Loading & unloading of a vehicle must be from the parking lot or street only.

If I rent one of the kitchens what do I need to clean before leaving?

A Kitchen Cleaning Check-list will be located in the kitchen and needs to be satisfactorily completed.

Are there any restrictions on decorating the shelter for my event?

Patrons are allowed to decorate, although we do ask that you completely clean up the area before leaving. Please note that water balloons, glitter, and confetti are not allowed at park shelters.